USA SHORT NEWS
Gas-powered vehicles banned in US states
- California became the first state in the USA to issue a phase-out of gas-powered vehicles in a bid to fight the climate crisis.
- California will Ban the sale of new gas engine vehicles by 2035 requiring cars to run on electricity or hydrogen
- 17 other states have already followed California’s lead and adopted its tailpipe emission standards
- In New York, A Bill was signed that sets to have all cars and trucks sold in the state be zero emission by 2035
- In Washington, state lawmakers set a target to phase out the sale of new gas-powered cars by 2030
- California is uniquely able to set emission standards that are stricter than Federal rules.
- The Clear Air Act allows California to enforce emissions standards for new motor vehicles through exemptions granted by the US Environmental Protection Agency.